How do we pray substantive prayers for our church when we don’t know how to pray specifically for them? Paul’s prayers for the churches provide some of the best ways to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ. Here are six ways a Christian can pray for his/her church family from Colossians 1:3-14.
- We can pray that faith in Christ, love for one another, and hope for the life to come would be evident in our church (vv. 3-5a).
- We can pray that the word of God would have free course and would bear fruit in our church (vv. 5b-6).
- We can pray that those who teach and preach would have an effective ministry of the word (v. 7).
- We can pray for the knowledge of God’s will by knowing His word (v. 9).
- We can pray for a fruitful Christian life that “walks” in the knowledge of God (v. 10).
- We can pray for the divine strength for perseverance characterized by patience and joy (v. 11).